Ubuntu, booted on gem5, is not syncing the file-system?
Mukherjee, Somnath
2017-02-22 06:13:45 UTC
Friends,
I have gem5 simulator running on a Ubuntu host.

The gem5 itself is booting Ubuntu and then I am trying to run some benchmarking program.
There's a filesystem .img file that's mounted by gem5 while booting Ubuntu.
The problem is I don't see the benchmark output files being written into the filesystem .img file after the benchmark program has finished running.
However, on the Ubuntu command prompt on gem5 simulator, I can see those files.

Can someone tell me, how do I make gem5 flush all the content to the filesystem .img?
After it has written the content, I would like to mount the filesystem on Ubuntu host to view the output of the benchmark.

I ran simple touch command to create a file on Ubuntu booted by gem5. That file too is not visible when I locally mount the .img file.
Can someone please help? I am sure I'm missing something here.

Regards,
Somnath Mukherjee
Automotive Infotainment Systems
Bangalore
Mukherjee, Somnath
2017-02-22 08:56:31 UTC
Ok, I found the answer here at http://www.gem5.org/BBench-gem5
I will follow what's suggested and get back if there's any issues!

Regards,
Somnath

Bangalore
Mukherjee, Somnath
2017-02-27 07:14:54 UTC
Dear Friends,
I got this working, partially; I see some files are being written to the disk image and some are not!
I have tried doing sync / halt etc.

Can anyone please help?

Regards,
Somnath

Bangalore
Jason Lowe-Power
2017-02-27 15:17:43 UTC
Hi Somnath,

By default the disk image is created as a "COW" or copy-on-write image.
Thus, all changes made to the disk are made to an new copy that is deleted
when gem5 exits. If you want your changes to be permanent you need to
modify the way the disk image is created and use a raw disk image, not a
COW image. It should be clear from the code what to change.

Jason
Mukherjee, Somnath
2017-02-28 05:49:37 UTC
Jason,
I changed it RAW disk image following http://www.gem5.org/BBench-gem5. After that I see some files are reflected on the disk image. However, not all are seen on the mounted disk image. Earlier I had the COW disk image and there I didn’t see any of the files being written to the disk image!

Is there anything else I am missing?

Jason Lowe-Power
2017-02-28 19:06:29 UTC
Hi Somnath,

I'm not sure what the problem is. It's possible that not all changes are
flushed to the physical disk (either because of the guest or gem5). You may
be able to dig into the IDE code to see if you can figure it out.

Jason
Post by Mukherjee, Somnath
Jason,
I changed it RAW disk image following http://www.gem5.org/BBench-gem5. After
that I see some files are reflected on the disk image. However, not all are
seen on the mounted disk image. Earlier I had the COW disk image and there
I didn’t see any of the files being written to the disk image!
Is there anything else I am missing?
Regards,
Somnath
Lowe-Power