Run GEM5 with 256 cores
gem5 gem5
2012-06-25 05:08:28 UTC
Hi all,

I need to run some simulation with about 256 cores. So far I only find two
benchmarks from parsec2.1 which can work alright with X86_SE with 256
num.cpus. I wonder if someone has benchmarks which work well with gem5 for
256 cores or can tell me a better/right way to run 256 cores with GEM5. I
really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Best,

Jinzhu
Hossein Nikoonia
2012-06-25 05:46:44 UTC
are you sure you can run a multi-threaded benchmark (pthread or omp) in x86
SE mode?

for FS mode, you need to have a linux kernel compiled with the ability to
handle 256 cores
gem5 gem5
2012-06-25 05:59:05 UTC
I checked the output when running 256 threads with X86 SE and its 99% the
same as the standard output. So I guess it's ok. I used gcc-pthread version
of parsec and m5thread library to compile.

According to the GEM5 website, BigTsunami only suppports up to 64 cores in
FS mode and it's quite slow....Do you have some instructions on how to
compile a linux kernel with the ability to handle 256 cores?

Thanks!

Jinzhu
Hossein Nikoonia
2012-06-25 06:08:43 UTC
you should config the kernel with CONFIG_NR_CPUS options set to 256. see
http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/NR_CPUS.html for more details.
see wiki for how to compile a kernel for gem5. there is a .config file for
it. only modify the above option.

I don't know how well linux kernel can handle 256 cores.

could you please let us know the instructions you have taken to compile
parsec with pthread? I'd really appreciate it.
gem5 gem5
2012-06-25 06:18:30 UTC
I found this webpage and basically I followed those steps to add/modify
related makefiles for each benchmark.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~markhill/cs757/Spring2012/handouts/hw3.html

However, some of them are really tricky to modify(for me. I am not very
good with makfiles...) I also ignored some unimplemented syscalls when
running gem5.

I have tried pthread version of parsec2.1 on linux not gem5. Most of them
support 256 threads very well. Does that mean linux kernel can handle 256
cores well?
Hossein Nikoonia
2012-06-25 09:20:25 UTC
i know linux can have 256 or more pthreads running but i don't know if it
can fully utilize 256 cores.

can you post your modified makefiles?
gem5 gem5
2012-06-25 17:25:25 UTC
Yes. I modified all of those except two. But for those ones which work
alright, it's not too hard.

For example, in blackscholes/src folder's, Move pthread.o here and then in
the Makefile, replace this line
" $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBS) -o $(TARGET)" with

" $(CXX) -c $(CXXFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBS) -o blackscholes.m4.o
$(CXX) -static $(LDFLAGS) $(LIBS) pthread.o blackscholes.m4.o
/path/to/gem5-stable/util/m5/m5op_x86.S -I/path/to/gem5-stable/util/m5 -o
$(TARGET)"

Another one I found which might work is canneal. The same way to modify its
makefile.
Hossein Nikoonia