Problem with booting Android ICS on Gem5
Vedang Patel
2012-10-13 05:17:52 UTC
Hi,
I am new to gem5. I am trying to run bbench on Android ICS. But, I am not
able to go past the boot screen. i am executing the following command in my
terminal.

/home/vedang/mercurial/gem5/build/ARM/m5.fast configs/example/fs.py -b
bbench-ics --kernel=vmlinux.smp.mouse.arm --frame-capture to run

The Android starts but it is not able to go past the boot screen.

Has anyone faced this error before?

Thanks,
Vedang Patel.
manish jain
2012-10-13 05:32:19 UTC
Hi Vedanag,
Have u seen the status on the m5 terminal?
Actually I am also trying to build android on M5 and after a point it seems
that it is getting stucked but when u see the status on the M5 terminal it
is being continuously updated..I am not sure wether your problem is
exactly same as mine.But look at the below link if it helps:
*http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.m5.users/6722*<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.m5.users/6722>

Thanks
Manish
manish jain

Anthony Gutierrez
Anthony Gutierrez
2012-10-13 08:55:06 UTC
Please send all queries to the mailing list.

You mentioned an error, what is the error?
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going past
the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM. Can it
be a problem of lack of main memory?
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
What is the error?
Vedang Patel
2012-10-13 09:03:53 UTC
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going past
the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM. Can it
be a problem of lack of main memory? I am waiting for about half an hour to
1 hour before terminating the process.
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
Please send all queries to the mailing list.
You mentioned an error, what is the error?
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going
past the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM.
Can it be a problem of lack of main memory?
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
What is the error?
Anthony Gutierrez
Vedang Patel
2012-10-13 09:19:22 UTC
Thanks. In the terminal I am seeing the following lines as the last few
lines. Is this normal?

VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 8:1.
[ 2.254015] VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) on device 8:1.
<6>Freeing init memory: 148K
[ 2.254029] Freeing init memory: 148K
<3>init: cannot open '/initlogo.rle'
[ 2.268890] init: cannot open '/initlogo.rle'
<3>init: cannot find '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh', disabling
'flash_recovery'
[ 2.279218] init: cannot find '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh',
disabling 'flash_recovery'
<3>init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property
'persist.sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
[ 2.279315] init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property
'persist.sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
<3>init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property 'sys.usb.config',
use ${name} instead
[ 2.279382] init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property
'sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
<3>init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property 'sys.usb.config',
use ${name} instead
[ 2.279438] init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property
'sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
/system/bin/sh: No controlling tty: open /dev/tty: No such device or address
/system/bin/sh: warning: won't have full job control

-Vedang
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
If there is no error, then from what I can tell, it is running fine. It
can take several hours just to boot, even in atomic mode.
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going
past the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM.
Can it be a problem of lack of main memory? I am waiting for about half an
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
Please send all queries to the mailing list.
You mentioned an error, what is the error?
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going
past the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM.
Can it be a problem of lack of main memory?
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
What is the error?
Anthony Gutierrez
Vedang Patel
2012-10-13 09:23:40 UTC
Thank you for your help. :)
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
That is normal output.
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
Please send all queries to the mailing list.
You mentioned an error, what is the error?
If I login using m5term I am able to login. But, the GUI is not going
past the android boot screen. I have a Core2Duo processor with 2 GB RAM.
Can it be a problem of lack of main memory?
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Anthony Gutierrez <
Post by Anthony Gutierrez
What is the error?