compile Linux kernel for X86 FS
wael Amr
2012-06-23 15:04:20 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to set up FS for x86,so one of the steps in this set up is the
kernel compilation :
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel

When i tried to use the command :

hg clone http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6 ,
I found that there is an error in the link.

So i downloaded Linux version 2.6.27.62 (from
http://www.kernel.org/),then i followed the next steps mentioned in
the link :
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel.

But when i tried to update to version 2.6.28.4 using the command :hg
update v2.6.28.4,
it failed giving a message "abort: unknown revision '2.6.28.4'!"

and when i tried to compile the kernel using the command :make vmlinux -j 4,
it failed giving a message
"SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
ln: failed to create symbolic link `include/asm': Read-only file system
make: *** [include/asm] Error 1
make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 5 jobserver tokens available; should be 4!
"

So Please Any help/hint will be highly appreciated as i am really
blocked and spent a lot of time in this issue.
Any suggestions for the kernel compilation.

Thanks
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Lluís Vilanova
2012-06-23 21:12:03 UTC
Post by wael Amr
Hello,
I am trying to set up FS for x86,so one of the steps in this set up is the
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel
hg clone http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6 ,
I found that there is an error in the link.
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel.
But when i tried to update to version 2.6.28.4 using the command :hg update v2.6.28.4,
it failed giving a message "abort: unknown revision '2.6.28.4'!"
I think the wiki should be updated to:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
cd linux-stable
git checkout 2.6.28.4

Or else search for an alive mercurial mirror of the linux git repository.

Lluis
Tollbooth
wael Amr
2012-06-26 06:16:08 UTC
Hello,

Thanks a lot for your support.
When i typed the command :
git checkout v2.6.28.4

I got this error message :
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by
checkout:
include/linux/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_DSCP.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_MARK.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.h
include/linux/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.h
include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_ECN.h
include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ipt_TTL.h
include/linux/netfilter_ipv6/ip6t_HL.h
net/netfilter/xt_DSCP.c
net/netfilter/xt_HL.c
net/netfilter/xt_RATEEST.c
net/netfilter/xt_TCPMSS.c
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can switch branches.
error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten by
checkout:
Documentation/IO-mapping.txt
net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_ecn.c
net/netfilter/xt_CONNMARK.c
net/netfilter/xt_MARK.c
Please move or remove them before you can switch branches.
Aborting

So please any support or advice.
Best Regards
Wael AMR
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel
Lluís Vilanova
2012-06-27 18:18:36 UTC
Post by wael Amr
Hello,
Thanks a lot for your support.
git checkout v2.6.28.4
Did you actually do this just after the "git clone"? No commands in between?

Lluis
Tollbooth
Diana Guttman
2012-06-26 15:48:07 UTC
[...]
Hello Wael,

I was able to build that version of the kernel using the tarball from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/. Is there some reason we
should use git for this? Just curious. I don't need any particular
version of Linux, just one that works with the gem5 configuration files.

Diana
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel
wael Amr
2012-06-27 04:11:54 UTC
Hello,

Actually i don't know but i think that git command is used to get Linux
2.6.28.4 and the tarball that you sent have the required Linux version,so
it should work but i am not sure.

I have a question
which link have you used to download from all these below links?

linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 50M linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2.sign
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2.sign>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 248 linux-2.6.28.4.tar.gz
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.gz>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 64M linux-2.6.28.4.tar.gz.sign
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.gz.sign>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 248 linux-2.6.28.4.tar.xz
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.xz>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 42M linux-2.6.28.4.tar.xz.sign
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.xz.sign>
06-Feb-2009 23:30 249

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards
Wael AMR
http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel
Diana Guttman
2012-06-27 20:05:23 UTC
Hi,
Since the git didn't work well with me ,i downloaded linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2
<http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.28.4.tar.bz2>then
i followed these commands at :http://gem5.org/Linux_kernel
and when i applied "make vmlinux -j 4"
# configuration written to .config
#
CHK include/linux/version.h
UPD include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
ln: failed to create symbolic link `include/asm': Read-only file system
make: *** [include/asm] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
So Please would you tell the commands steps that you have used to compile
the kernel ?
Thanks in advance
Best Regards
Wael AMR
I'm not sure what that error means. Maybe you can look at the folder you
are installing in and make sure you have write permission everywhere. I
think there needs to be a .config file in the same directory, and then you
can just use "make".

Here is the problem I was having, for which I needed to recompile the
kernel: when booting, I saw some messages like "WARNING: NR_CPUS limit of 8
reached. Processor ignored." in the m5_term window. I was trying to run an
x86 full system simulation with 32 cores.

My steps to build, % is the shell
1. Download linux version 2.6.28.4 (the version we have a config for) from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ and extract.
2. % cd linux-2.6.28.4
3. Copy existing config from gem5 folder
% cp $GEM5/x86-system/binaries/linux-2.6.28.4 .config
4. % make menuconfig
This brings up a menu where you can change the configuration of the kernel.
In my case, I set SMP support under Processor type to Yes and max number
of CPUs to 32.
5. Quit from menu
6. % make
7. Copy newly created vmlinux into x86 system/binaries folder and rename if
you want e.g vmlinux-2.6.28.4-smp
% cp vmlinux $GEM5/x86-system/binaries
8. Specify this kernel when running gem5 e.g.
% setenv M5_PATH $GEM5/x86-system
% ./build/X86_FS/gem5.opt ./configs/example/ruby_fs.py -n 32 --kernel
=vmlinux-2.6.28.4-smp

Diana
wael Amr
2012-06-28 04:25:06 UTC
Hi,

Really Great Thanks for this support.

Before trying these steps,i have a question about step No.8
This step can be done also through modifying the file "Syspaths.py"
except KeyError:
path = [ '/dist/m5/system',
'/home/wael/gem5/linux-2.6..28.4' ]
instead of
except KeyError:
path = [ '/dist/m5/system', '/n/poolfs/z/dist/m5/system' ]

So is this right or wrong ?

Thanks again
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Diana Guttman
2012-06-28 20:10:17 UTC
Hi,

I think you are right; that's a better way to do it. It should be the path
to the x86 system folder.

Diana

Wael AMR
wael Amr
2012-06-30 06:02:55 UTC
Hi,

I followed the steps but when reaching the command "make",I got the same
error message :

CHK include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
ln: failed to create symbolic link `include/asm': Read-only file system
make: *** [include/asm] Error 1

When i searched through the internet ,i found that it is due to using the
virtual box ,the symbolic link doesn't work.

So is there any way to use the benchmark PARSEC (for FS mode) without
compiling the Linux kernel ?
Is there any way/hint/suggestion to solve this problem ?

Thank you in advance.
Best Regards
Wael AMR
2012-07-07 14:49:12 UTC
Hi,

I solved the problem in the last email but i got another error when i tried
the command "make" for the Linux kernel 2.6.28.4 as shown:

/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:93: undefined reference
to `__mutex_lock_slowpath'
kernel/built-in.o: In function `mutex_unlock':
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:118: undefined reference
to `__mutex_unlock_slowpath'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

So please support for this blocking problem.
Any help will be really highly appreciated.

Thanks
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Lluís Vilanova
2012-07-08 09:51:46 UTC
Hi,
I solved the problem in the last email but i got another error when i tried the
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:93: undefined reference to
`__mutex_lock_slowpath'
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:118: undefined reference to
`__mutex_unlock_slowpath'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
So please support for this blocking problem.
Any help will be really highly appreciated.
AFAIR, you need an older gcc version. Version 4.4 works fine for me:

make -C /path/to/src/linux O=/path/to/build/linux CC=gcc-4.4

Still, it would be nice if someone with the knowledge and time fixed this:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.m5.users/8196

Lluis
Tollbooth
wael Amr
2012-07-11 03:41:24 UTC
Hi,

what do you mean by "-C /path/to/src/linux O=/path/to/build/linux" ?

As i typed the command " make CC=gcc-4.4",but i got this error message:
scripts/checksyscalls.sh: line 13: cannot create temp file for
here-document: No space left on device
HOSTCC scripts/mod/file2alias.o
scripts/mod/file2alias.c:847:1: fatal error: error writing to
/tmp/ccbKzAKC.s: No space left on device
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [scripts/mod/file2alias.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [scripts/mod] Error 2
make: *** [scripts] Error 2

So please support.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and time.
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Post by wael Amr
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:93: undefined
reference to
`__mutex_lock_slowpath'
Lluís Vilanova
2012-07-11 08:55:01 UTC
Post by wael Amr
Hi,
what do you mean by "-C /path/to/src/linux O=/path/to/build/linux" ?
'make -C /foo' is similar to '(cd /foo ; make)'.

See 'make -C /path/to/src/linux help' for a description of the 'O' variable.

Lluis
Post by wael Amr
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:93: undefined reference
`__mutex_lock_slowpath'
Tollbooth
wael Amr
2012-07-12 04:51:33 UTC
Hi,
But i made Cd for the linux-2.6.28.4
then i typed the command as shown :
make -C /Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4 O=/Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4 CC=gcc-4.4

I got this error :
make: *** /Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4: No such file or directory. Stop.

So is there anything missing ?

Thanks
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Post by wael Amr
/home/wael/Mac/Gem5/linux-2.6.28.4/kernel/mutex.c:93: undefined
reference
Post by wael Amr
`__mutex_lock_slowpath'
Post by wael Amr
Post by wael Amr
`__mutex_unlock_slowpath'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
So please support for this blocking problem.
Any help will be really highly appreciated.
make -C /path/to/src/linux O=/path/to/build/linux CC=gcc-4.4
Still, it would be nice if someone with the knowledge and time fixed
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.m5.users/8196
Lluis
-- The Princess of Pure Reason, as told by Norton Juster in The
Phantom
Post by wael Amr
Tollbooth
Tollbooth
Lluís Vilanova
2012-07-12 09:44:23 UTC
Post by wael Amr
Hi,
But i made Cd for the linux-2.6.28.4
make -C /Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4 O=/Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4 CC=gcc-4.4
make: *** /Mac/gem5/linux-2.6.28.4: No such file or directory. Stop.
So is there anything missing ?
The directory specified by '-C' does not exist. If you're not sure what you're
doing with that command, just follow the standard procedure of 'cd' into the
source directory and then "make CC=gcc-4.4".

Lluis
Tollbooth
wael Amr
2012-07-14 07:56:35 UTC
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your support as finally i complied the kernel successfully
but when i tried to follow step No.7,i didn't find the new created
vmlinux-2.6.28.4-smp
So is there something wrong ?

Also in the final step ,How did you run without using any scripts ?

Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation.
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Lluís Vilanova
2012-07-14 12:32:26 UTC
Hi,
Thanks a lot for your support as finally i complied the kernel successfully but
when i tried to follow step No.7,i didn't find the new created
vmlinux-2.6.28.4-smp
So is there something wrong ?
You should find the generated kernel in file "vmlinux", right in the directory
where you built linux.
Also in the final step ,How did you run without using any scripts ?
M5_PATH=. ./build/X86/gem5.debug --path=./gem5/configs/common/ ./gem5/configs/example/fs.py --kernel=./linux/vmlinux

If you're unable to place files in the proper directories, just follow the
instructions in the GEM5 wiki, as I run it with a slightly different directory
organization.

Lluis
Tollbooth
wael Amr
2012-07-14 13:30:37 UTC
Hi,
i typed
command line: build/x86/gem5.opt --path=/home/wael/Mac/gem5/configs/common/
configs/example/fs.py --kernel=/home/wael/Mac/gem5/binaries/vmlinux

but i got this error :
fatal: Loading a 32 bit x86 kernel is not supported.

So any help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Best Regards
Wael AMR
Diana Guttman
2012-07-01 21:30:10 UTC
If you are using virtualbox, you should have root privileges, so maybe you
can set up a read/write file system. You can also use the x86 kernel from
the downloads page. (As far as I know it works for <= 8 cores) You will
have to compile the benchmarks yourself and load them on an image. Just so
you know, I had some problems with this because I compiled my benchmarks
with kernel version 3, whereas the gem5 kernel is version 2.6, so be
careful about that. They might fit on one of the existing images or you
can make a new one using gem5img.py. If you aren't set on using x86 it
might be easier to use the Alpha Parsec image here:
http://www.m5sim.org/PARSEC_benchmarks.