ARMv8 Client-Server configuration
Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-08-06 20:42:18 UTC
Hi everyone,

I am trying to run a client-server setup using arm64. I am using the
(latest) linaro kernel (3.16) and disk image suggested on the GEM5
downloads page. Simply building the kernel with defconfig (as recommended
in the README) does not seem to setup the ethernet drivers. Running
"ifconfig -a" only yields the loopback device/interface.

I then opened up the .config (generated by defconfig) using menuconfig and
enabled all the settings related to ethernet and re-built the kernel. After
booting, "ifconfig -a" results in this:

bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr CA:FB:D0:02:D0:7E
BROADCAST MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

dummy0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:58:3E:AF:F3:41
BROADCAST NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:65536 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:784 (784.0 B) TX bytes:784 (784.0 B)

I tried running the sample client-server rcS scripts and tried both dummy0
and bond0, but pings did not go through. From others' posts and sample rcS
scripts, it seems that GEM5 expects eth0.

Does anyone know if client-server is supported for arm64 in GEM5, and if
so, how to get them to communicate? I am using the latest GEM5 revision
(10240).

Thanks!
Ali Saidi via gem5-users

Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-08-19 17:44:21 UTC
Hi Ali,

Have you had the chance to look at the issue or have some suggestions as to
which source files to look at?

Thanks,

Ivan
Post by Ali Saidi via gem5-users
Hi Ivan,
The kernel that you’re using and the currently gem5 don’t support pci
devices with arm64. I hope to remedy this within a week.
Thanks,
Ali
On Aug 6, 2014, at 3:42 PM, Ivan Stalev via gem5-users <
Andreas Hansson via gem5-users
2014-08-19 17:48:11 UTC
Hi Ivan,

The patches are on the review board as of this morning (UK time).

Comments are welcome as always.

Andreas

From: Ivan Stalev via gem5-users <gem5-***@gem5.org<mailto:gem5-***@gem5.org>>
Date: Tuesday, 19 August 2014 18:44
To: Ali Saidi <***@umich.edu<mailto:***@umich.edu>>
Subject: Re: [gem5-users] ARMv8 Client-Server configuration

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Ali Saidi <***@umich.edu<mailto:***@umich.edu>> wrote:
[...]

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782
Andreas Hansson via gem5-users
2014-08-20 08:45:59 UTC
Hi Ivan,

Just following up on this one. I posted the patches yesterday morning, but forgot to “Publish” then. Sorry about the misunderstanding. They are all there now.

Andreas

Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-08-20 15:19:12 UTC
Hi Andreas,

No problem, I figured it wasn't the 80 char README file patch :)

I applied the 7 patches you posted this morning, but now when I run in dual
mode, gem5 crashes with this:

panic: M5 panic instruction called at pc=0xffffffc00008a024.
@ tick 58408160
[execute:build/ARM/arch/arm/generated/exec-ns.cc.inc, line 241403]

The GDB backtrace from gem5.debug suggests that execution is somehow killed
from a manually inserted breakpoint.

This is also after I had to hardcode the DTB file name for the drivesys
in /src/arch/arm/linux/system.cc since it was not picking it up from the
command line...

warn: Kernel supports device tree, but no DTB file specified
fatal: Expected a single ATAG memory entry but got 3
@ tick 58402784
[initState:build/ARM/arch/arm/linux/system.cc, line 202]

Can you share how you tested the client-server configuration?

Thank you,

Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-08-20 15:36:26 UTC
Edit: I was using my own compiled kernel. I am now using the default
kernel, vmlinux-3.14-aarch64-vexpress-emm64, and it appears not to crash. I
will go ahead and test it out.
Ali Saidi via gem5-users

Ali Saidi via gem5-users
2014-08-28 21:29:37 UTC
You should be able to get a new working kernel with PCIe support for AArch64 like the following, however you’ll need all the patches that Andreas just mentioned in an email to gem5-dev as committed next week.

wget "http://www.linux-arm.org/git?p=linux-aarch64-gem5.git;a=snapshot;h=400390889828685d432d38406cbd9c7afceeaa15;sf=tgz" -O linux-aarch64-gem5.tgz
tar zxvf linux-aarch64-gem5.tgz
cd linux-aarch64-gem5-4003908
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf- gem5_defconfig
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf- -j4

Thanks,
Ali

From: Ali Saidi via gem5-users <gem5-***@gem5.org<mailto:gem5-***@gem5.org>>
Date: Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

This is also after I had to hardcode the DTB file name for the drivesys in /src/arch/arm/linux/system.cc<http://system.cc> since it was not picking it up from the command line...

[initState:build/ARM/arch/arm/linux/system.cc<http://system.cc>, line 202]

Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-09-15 07:08:20 UTC
Hi Ali and Andreas,

When I try to boot the client-server system for arm64 with the latest gem5
revision (10369) I get a kernel panic:

[ 6.660806] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0):
error -6
[ 6.660807] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the
available partitions:
[ 6.660809] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)
[ 6.660810] CPU: 0 PID: 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.16.0-rc6 #2
[ 6.660810] Call trace:
[ 6.660811] [<ffffffc000087fb4>] dump_backtrace+0x0/0x130
[ 6.660813] [<ffffffc0000880f4>] show_stack+0x10/0x1c
[ 6.660814] [<ffffffc0004efcfc>] dump_stack+0x74/0xb8
[ 6.660815] [<ffffffc0004ef054>] panic+0xe0/0x218
[ 6.660816] [<ffffffc000699e74>] mount_block_root+0x1d0/0x270
[ 6.660817] [<ffffffc00069a024>] mount_root+0x110/0x130
[ 6.660818] [<ffffffc00069a17c>] prepare_namespace+0x138/0x184
[ 6.660819] [<ffffffc000699ae8>] kernel_init_freeable+0x1b8/0x1dc
[ 6.660821] [<ffffffc0004ed428>] kernel_init+0x10/0xd4
[ 6.660822] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount
root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I built the kernel according to Ali's instructions. The command line I use
is:

./build/ARM/gem5.fast -d m5out/dual-test configs/example/fs.py
--machine-type=VExpress_EMM64
--kernel=..path../linux-aarch64-gem5-4003908/vmlinux
--dtb-filename=..path../rtsm_ve-aemv8a-5core.dtb --mem-size=4GB
--cpu-type=atomic --cpu-clock=2GHz --dual

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Ivan

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Ali Saidi via gem5-users <
Ali Saidi via gem5-users
2014-09-15 20:55:31 UTC
Hi Ivan,

Can you show us more of the output. Does it recognize the PCI devices?
What version of gem5 are you running. The patches required were just
committed last week.

wget "http://www.linux-arm.org/git?p=linux-aarch64-gem5.git;a=snapshot;h=400390889828685d432d38406cbd9c7afceeaa15;sf=tgz [1]" -O linux-aarch64-gem5.tgz
Date: Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM
[...]
This is also after I had to hardcode the DTB file name for the drivesys in /src/arch/arm/linux/system.cc [2] since it was not picking it up from the command line...
warn: Kernel supports device tree, but no DTB file specified
fatal: Expected a single ATAG memory entry but got 3
@ tick 58402784
[initState:build/ARM/arch/arm/linux/system.cc [2], line 202]

Links:
Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-09-16 03:30:31 UTC
Hi Ali,

I am using the latest gem5 revision (10369) which includes the changes. It
appears that the PCI devices are recognized:

[ 4.160650] PTP clock support registered
[ 4.160722] Switched to clocksource arch_sys_counter
[ 4.161368] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[ 4.161414] TCP established hash table entries: 32768 (order: 6, 262144
bytes)
[ 4.161461] TCP bind hash table entries: 32768 (order: 7, 524288 bytes)
[ 4.161520] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 32768 bind 32768)
[ 4.161524] TCP: reno registered
[ 4.161526] UDP hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
[ 4.161536] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 2048 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
[ 4.161559] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[ 4.161589] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[ 4.161590] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[ 4.161590] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[ 4.161591] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
[ 4.161593] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 64
[ 4.161698] futex hash table entries: 2048 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
[ 4.161748] HugeTLB registered 2 MB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[ 4.162983] fuse init (API version 7.23)
[ 4.163035] msgmni has been set to 8053
[ 4.164283] io scheduler noop registered
[ 4.164316] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
[ 4.164355] clcd-pl11x: probe of 1c1f0000.clcd failed with error -22
[ 4.164622] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[ 4.164802] pata_of_platform 1c1a0000.compact-flash: pio-mode
unspecified, assuming PIO0
[ 4.164866] scsi0 : pata_platform
[ 4.164900] ata1: PATA max PIO0 no IRQ, using PIO polling mmio cmd
0x1c1a0000 ctl 0x1c1a0100
*[ 4.164942] e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version
7.3.21-k8-NAPI*
*[ 4.164943] e1000: Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.*
*[ 4.164951] e1000e: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - 2.3.2-k*
*[ 4.164952] e1000e: Copyright(c) 1999 - 2014 Intel Corporation.*
*[ 4.164959] igb: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Network Driver - version
5.0.5-k*
*[ 4.164960] igb: Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Intel Corporation.*
[ 4.164974] smc91x: not found (-19).
[ 4.165012] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 4.165063] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[ 4.165194] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[ 4.165195] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[ 4.165211] TCP: cubic registered
[ 4.165212] NET: Registered protocol family 17
^@[ 4.760755] input: AT Raw Set 2 keyboard as
/devices/smb/smb:motherboard/smb:motherboard:***@3
,00000000/1c060000.kmi/serio0/input/input0
[ 6.660771] input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as
/devices/smb/smb:motherboard/smb:motherboard:***@3
,00000000/1c070000.kmi/serio1/input/input2
[ 6.660806] VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0):
error -6

The only modification I made to gem5 is hardcoding the DTB file name for
the drivesys in /src/arch/arm/linux/system.cc since it was not picking it
up from the command line...

warn: Kernel supports device tree, but no DTB file specified
fatal: Expected a single ATAG memory entry but got 3
@ tick 58402784
[initState:build/ARM/arch/arm/linux/system.cc, line 202]

Aside from that, I have not changed any other code. Am I using the correct
command line?

Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-09-23 06:36:58 UTC
Hi Ali,

I appreciate your help. It appears to be working now. I had not modified
the DTB file; after doing so, it works.

Thanks :)

Ivan
Are you user you're using the kernel you just compiled?
The text you copied shows the driver loading, but does not show if finding
[ 3.131464] HugeTLB registered 2 MB page size, pre-allocated 0 pages
[ 3.132696] fuse init (API version 7.23)
[ 3.132747] msgmni has been set to 980
[ 3.134001] io scheduler noop registered
[ 3.134033] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
[ 3.134305] pci-host-generic 30000000.pci: PCI host bridge to bus
0000:00
[ 3.134306] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [io 0x0000-0xffff]
[ 3.134308] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem
0x40000000-0x4fffffff]
[ 3.134310] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [bus 00-ff]
[ 3.134311] pci_bus 0000:00: scanning bus
[ 3.134313] pci 0000:00:00.0: [8086:1075] type 00 class 0x020000
[ 3.134315] pci 0000:00:00.0: reg 0x10: [mem 0x00000000-0x0001ffff]
[ 3.134318] pci 0000:00:00.0: reg 0x30: [mem 0x00000000-0x000007ff pref]
[ 3.134334] pci 0000:00:01.0: [8086:7111] type 00 class 0x010185
[ 3.134336] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x10: [io 0x0000-0x0007]
[ 3.134338] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x14: [io 0x0000-0x0003]
[ 3.134340] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x18: [io 0x0000-0x0007]
[ 3.134341] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x1c: [io 0x0000-0x0003]
[ 3.134343] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x20: [io 0x0000-0x000f]
[ 3.134345] pci 0000:00:01.0: reg 0x30: [mem 0x00000000-0x000007ff pref]
[ 3.134362] pci_bus 0000:00: fixups for bus
[ 3.134364] pci_bus 0000:00: bus scan returning with max=00
[ 3.134365] pci 0000:00:00.0: calling quirk_e100_interrupt+0x0/0x1cc
[ 3.134370] pci 0000:00:00.0: fixup irq: got 33
[ 3.134371] pci 0000:00:00.0: assigning IRQ 33
[ 3.134374] pci 0000:00:01.0: fixup irq: got 34
[ 3.134375] pci 0000:00:01.0: assigning IRQ 34
[ 3.134378] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem
0x40000000-0x4001ffff]
[ 3.134379] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem
0x40020000-0x400207ff pref]
[ 3.134381] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 6: assigned [mem
0x40020800-0x40020fff pref]
[ 3.134383] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 4: assigned [io 0x1000-0x100f]
[ 3.134384] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 0: assigned [io 0x1010-0x1017]
[ 3.134386] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 2: assigned [io 0x1018-0x101f]
[ 3.134388] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 1: assigned [io 0x1020-0x1023]
[ 3.134390] pci 0000:00:01.0: BAR 3: assigned [io 0x1024-0x1027]
[ 3.134669] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[ 3.134822] ata_piix 0000:00:01.0: version 2.13
[ 3.134823] ata_piix 0000:00:01.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0001)
[ 3.134829] ata_piix 0000:00:01.0: enabling bus mastering
[ 3.135019] scsi0 : ata_piix
[ 3.135073] scsi1 : ata_piix
[ 3.135091] ata1: PATA max UDMA/33 cmd 0x1010 ctl 0x1020 bmdma 0x1000
irq 34
[ 3.135092] ata2: PATA max UDMA/33 cmd 0x1018 ctl 0x1024 bmdma 0x1008
irq 34
[ 3.135153] e1000: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver - version
7.3.21-k8-NAPI
[ 3.135154] e1000: Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Intel Corporation.
[ 3.135158] e1000 0000:00:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[ 3.135160] e1000 0000:00:00.0: enabling bus mastering
[ 3.290565] ata1.00: ATA-7: M5 IDE Disk, , max UDMA/66
[ 3.290567] ata1.00: 2096640 sectors, multi 0: LBA
[ 3.290573] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
[ 3.290590] scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA M5 IDE Disk
n/a PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Ivan Stalev via gem5-users
2014-10-07 20:38:20 UTC
Hi Ali and Andreas,

Is armv8 client-server supposed to work with detailed CPUs? Everything
works with atomic CPUs for me, but when I restore from a checkpoint after
boot with a detailed CPU, no progress is made.

Thanks,

Ivan