[gem5-users] "gem5 has encountered a segmentation fault"
Samon Shivastar
2018-10-17 16:57:05 UTC
Hello everyone,

I am trying to run different SPECCPU 2006 benchmarks on gem5 is SE mode but
for some of the benchmarks, the simulation prints the following line:

"info: Increasing stack size by one page."

a bunch of times and then aborts prematurely citing the reason:

"gem5 has encountered a segmentation fault!"

I have two questions:
1. What does the line "info: Increasing stack size by one page." exactly
mean?
2. How to fix segmentation fault issue?

I've tried increasing memory size in se.py (--mem-size) but of no use.
Is there any place where I can increase the stack size to try to fix this
problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
Sam
Boris Shingarov
2018-10-17 17:57:28 UTC
Gabe Black
2018-10-17 20:01:43 UTC
The message about increasing the stack size is normal. In SE mode the stack
grows on demand, and that's just letting you know it added a new page.

Gabe
Which ISA? What version of the compiler, and what version of libc?
On PowerPC and MIPS, syscall support in GEM5 has lagged so far behind that
GEM5 will crash on SE workloads linked to any reasonably-recent glibc.