Running multi-threaded benchmarks in X86 SE mode
Aditya Deshpande
2014-03-04 01:38:23 UTC
Hi All,

I want to run multi-threaded benchmark/code in X86 SE mode. Do I need to
compile the openmp or pthread code any differently to run in X86 SE mode or
just static compilation of code would suffice.

Also, how to specify the run to use multiple threads/cores in the execution
command of gem5.

Regards,
Aditya
Amrish Tewar
2014-03-04 15:05:52 UTC
hey Aditya,

I think you need to compile the splash benchmark with X86. i am
solving the same problem.... trying to recompile the splash bench mark
with m5 thread.

if you look m5thread_X86 make file you will see some make file and how
to compile.

if you see make file in splash benchmark you will see how to compile
the benchmark.

now you need to write new make file which will be collobrative of this two.

I got one or two benchmark compiled but will be compiling other in coming time.

if you get some success let me update how you do it.

if i got some success i will let you know.

AKT

Lluc Alvarez Marti
2014-03-04 16:11:56 UTC
Hi!

You can simply compile the m5threads library separately to generate the
object file, pthread.o, and then just import the pthread.o in the
compilation of the binaries of your benchmarks. I've done so with the
NAS benchmarks and works perfectly, and I only had to add one line of
code in the makefiles to include the pthread.o of m5threads. It should
be also very simple to do with the Parsecs.

Regarding Aditya's question on changing the number of cpus, there's an
option in the configuration scripts to do so. More info here:
http://www.m5sim.org/Running_gem5.

Lluc
Post by Aditya Deshpande
Hi All,
I want to run multi-threaded benchmark/code in X86 SE mode. Do I need to
compile the openmp or pthread code any differently to run in X86 SE mode or
just static compilation of code would suffice.
Also, how to specify the run to use multiple threads/cores in the execution
command of gem5.
Regards,
Aditya
WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing, copying, or in any way using this message. If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer
Amrish Tewar
2014-03-06 17:34:22 UTC
Lluc Alvarez Marti, Aditya and All,

as per guided by Lluc Alvarez Marti,

i am using following command for making compatible with splash2
benchmark with m5thread. I am asking if anyone agree or denies whether
this is correct of not.

sample for splash2/apps/lu_cb

m4 ../../null_macros/c.m4.null.pthread lu.C > lu.c
gcc -c -O2 -w -lm -o lu.o lu.c
gcc -o lu lu.o -static ../../pthread.o -lm

pl. guide.

I am trying to compile all other benchmark of spalsh2 on same
fundamental. if any one can correct me i am wrong or correct that will
be help ful
Lluc Alvarez Marti
2014-03-06 18:32:56 UTC
Hi,

The inclusion of the pthread.o object file looks OK, assuming
"../../pthread.o" is a correct path. This should be enough to compile
your benchmarks with the m5threads library.

Other issues you may find running the splash2 benchmarks on gem5 are
explained here: http://www.m5sim.org/Splash_benchmarks. I'm not familiar
with the splash2 at all, so I don't know what's the current state of all
this.

Lluc
Post by Amrish Tewar
Lluc Alvarez Marti, Aditya and All,
as per guided by Lluc Alvarez Marti,
i am using following command for making compatible with splash2
benchmark with m5thread. I am asking if anyone agree or denies
whether
this is correct of not.
sample for splash2/apps/lu_cb
m4 ../../null_macros/c.m4.null.pthread lu.C > lu.c
gcc -c -O2 -w -lm -o lu.o lu.c
gcc -o lu lu.o -static ../../pthread.o -lm
pl. guide.
I am trying to compile all other benchmark of spalsh2 on same
fundamental. if any one can correct me i am wrong or correct that will
be help ful

http://www.bsc.es/disclaimer
Amrish Tewar
2014-03-06 19:17:55 UTC
hi All,

I tried to read the http://www.m5sim.org/Splash_benchmarks link but i
am not very familiar with the technical issue discussing by the
author.

if some one make things easy for understanding i would really appreciate.

I am still worrying the exe i am created is good to run splash2
benchmark on SE mode.. or i am missing some thing from the link.

If any person has experience. pl. share.

Amrish Tewar
2014-03-08 17:23:25 UTC
Hi All,

i have made m5thread X86 compile splash2 benchmark.

and running radix with simsmall input
gem5x86.opt ../../configs/example/se.py --l2cache --l1d_size=32kB
--l1d_assoc=4 --l1i_size=32Kb --l1i_assoc=4 --l2_size=256kB
--l2_assoc=8 --cacheline_size=64 --num-cpus=4
--cmd=/opt/m5thread_X86/splash2/radix/radix --options="-p4-t -r1024
-n262144 -m524288" --cpu-type=timing

my benchmark is running for now more than 24 hours. I am just
wondering if things are working correct. or just i am doing some thing
wrong. if any of you have gone through this experience pl. share.

or if i am not doing something correct pl. guide.

A.K.T