Default network test
Vineeth Mohan
2012-12-23 05:29:29 UTC
Hi,

I am working on optical NoC and I am trying to learn gem5 for
interconnection networks. I tried to run gem5 to invoke a network using the
instructions on the wiki page : http://www.m5sim.org/Interconnection_Network

However, the simulation does not occur. I find that there is no file named *
run_random_test.py. *Even if I try with the file named *
ruby_random_test.py, * it does not work. Am I missing something? Is there
anything else that I should look up before doing this. I have already built
the *gem5.debug* binary for ALPHA.

Also, I found that when I replaced *run_random_test.py* with *
ruby_mem_test.py, *the simulation took place. Can anyone explain this to me.

Thanks,
Vineeth Mohan
CHiPES, NTU
Tushar Krishna
2012-12-23 05:34:57 UTC
Hi Vineeth,
Yeah it should be ruby_random_test.py instead of run_random_test.py .. I will edit that on the wiki.
But you seem to indicate that "it does not work" with ruby_random_test.py?
What do you mean by that? Did it give you some error?

- Tushar
Vineeth Mohan
2012-12-23 05:37:04 UTC
Hi Tushar,

I have the same problem as mentioned in this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-***@gem5.org/msg05921.html
It doesn't give any error, only warnings. But gem5 exits without any
simulation.

Best,
Vineeth
Tushar Krishna
2012-12-23 06:28:07 UTC
The observed behavior is not incorrect.
Just like that thread, you should have seen:

info: Entering event queue @ 0. Starting simulation¬Ö
hack: be nice to actually delete the event here
Exiting @ tick XXXX because Ruby Tester completed.

This means the simulation ran fine.
And you should be able to see a m5out/ruby.stats corresponding to this simulation.
http://www.gem5.org/Ruby_Random_Tester discusses what the ruby random tester does.

For network-only simulations, I would suggest following
http://www.gem5.org/Networktest
after you read the interconnection networks wiki page.

- Tushar
Hi Tushar,
Vineeth Mohan
2012-12-24 07:09:50 UTC
Hi Tushar,

Thanks for the help. Now I know where I should look for the simulation
output :)

Best,
Vineeth
Vineeth Mohan
2012-12-24 10:10:56 UTC
Hi,

Is there any source from where I can get a detailed explanation of the
simulation output (i.e. as in ruby.stats file) ? Also, is gem5 capable of
generating power profile for memory accesses?

Kind regards,
Vineeth