Trace Instruction Flow associated with PID
Peng Wei
2014-02-06 23:37:47 UTC
Hi there,

Are there any existing way to trace instruction flow associated with
process id? The debug flag "Exec" can generate instruction flow for us, but
there is no PID associated with each instruction. Could anybody tell me how
to generate instruction executing trace with pid for each instruction or
each section of instruction?

Thanks very much.
Martin Brown
2014-02-07 06:47:22 UTC
Hello,

There's a thread that talks about getting the PID here
http://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-***@gem5.org/msg08815.html

You can include it in the DPRINTF() calls with the Exec flags.

If it complains that you don't have thread info compiled into the kernel,
try the patch from this thread
https://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-***@gem5.org/msg06169.html

If that doesn't work, or if this isn't what you're looking for let us know.

Martin
Peng Wei
2014-02-08 06:52:49 UTC
Hi Martin,

Could you please explain it more detailedly? I am now stuck by the error of
"don't have thread info compiled into the kernel", but I don't know how to
go further. I followed the step at "http://gem5.org/BBench-gem5" to build
kernel, but after I downloaded the code from git, I could not even see the
files in the patch. Is the kernel code at "git clone
git://linux-arm.org/linux-2.6-armdroid.git -b 2.6.38-armdroid"?

Thanks very much.

Martin Brown
2014-02-10 16:43:05 UTC
Hi Peng,

Yes that's the right kernel code. Once you have that you can apply the
patch. Even though that files aren't there, they should be created by the
patch.

$ git apply patch-file-name

Or if the patch doesn't apply properly, you can look at the patch file and
apply it manually.

Here's the one I compiled which includes the kernel info https://www.dropbox
.com/s/wf09b4kkn3jh4ku/vmlinux-with_kernel_info

If you use that, it should get you past the "thread info not compiled into
kernel" problem. Then you should be able to get the PID using the code
snippet that I pointed to in my previous message.

Let me know if that doesn't work.

Martin
Peng Wei
2014-02-11 22:19:44 UTC
Hi Martin,

Thanks very much. I saw the PID this time. However, when I tried to use the
method you mentioned before:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-***@gem5.org/msg08815.html, it kept
printing out warnings like this:

warn: Device system.membus.badaddr_responder accessed by read to address
0xffffffffffffffff size=1
warn: Unable to translate virtual address: 0xa00006ee1b0a0ed

and the PID is always 1797.

Have you encountered the same issue? If so, how did you address it?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Castillo Villar, Emilio
2014-02-11 22:47:05 UTC
I was having a similar problem, the PID was not always being read properly and got some address translation errors as well.
In the end I added a m5 pseudo instruction to store the running pid in a register.

I call this pseudo inst from the kernel each time it does a context switch. kernel/sched.c

It's a quick &dirty hack but I was in a rush and couldn't figure anything better.
________________________________

Martin
Martin Brown
2014-02-12 02:23:34 UTC
I've only tested that on ARM FS, so I'm not sure if that would make a
difference if you're using something else.

Also, where did you add that code? Which file/method? I was able to do it
in src/cpu/simple/atomic.cc:tick() as well as
src/mem/abstract_mem.cc:access()

Hope that helps somehow.

Martin
huangyongbing
2014-02-14 09:35:26 UTC
Hi,

I dump the instruction flow before. The patch named
inst-trace.patch can be available at
https://bitbucket.org/yongbing_huang/gem5-patches/.

However, this patch is based on a quite old version of gem5, and the codes
are not well organized (not proposed to share).

For ARM ISA, I record the pid information during the end of context
switch. When context switches, OS is executed in the kernel mode. Then I
dump the pid and library information from

the task_struct structure of current process.

The entry of dumping instruction is
Trace::ExeTracerRecord::traceInst(StaticInstPtr inst, bool ran) in
src/cpu/exetrace.cc. It will call the Statistics::process(ThreadContext *tc)
in src/arch/arm/kernel_stats.cc. The Statistics::process function is
responsible to read out the detailed information, such as pid and mmap
files.

The format of my instruction trace is

pid:timestamp:coreId:pc::phyAddr(of PC)::command

Though the codes are terrible to read, hope you can find useful
information from above two files.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Yongbing Huang