Reducing time taken by dual simulations
Guru Prasad
2015-08-03 15:16:38 UTC
Hi,

Recently we've been trying to run some experiments with the network.
To do so, we've been using dual simulations. So far, we've been able
to get away with running two simulations booting barebones linux with
just a shell. However, our real workload is BBench and so we need to
boot a full Android image.

A single simulation of full Android takes us about ~12hours to boot.
However under dual, its been about 3 days and has so far simulated
only ~20seconds. Is there any way to speed up the simulation? Is there
any way we can stitch two single simulations together (initial loss of
time on drivesys is acceptable).

Currently we're on revision e179497451.

Regards
Guru
Andreas Hansson
2015-08-03 15:33:06 UTC
Hi Guru,

To speed things up, here are some options:

1. Use atomic to get the point of interest, then take a checkpoint. Is
this what you are doing?

2. For the above, run with --fast-mem since you’re not warming any caches
anyways.

3. If possible, use the KvmArmCPU instead of (1). This should give you a
significant boost.

If the amount of work is constant, than running with dual should not slow
things down. If you’re seeing a slow down, then perhaps something odd is
going on in the simulation (interrupts getting lost etc). Have you tried
with the latest trunk?

Andreas

On 03/08/2015 16:16, "gem5-users on behalf of Guru Prasad"
Post by Guru Prasad
Hi,
Recently we've been trying to run some experiments with the network.
To do so, we've been using dual simulations. So far, we've been able
to get away with running two simulations booting barebones linux with
just a shell. However, our real workload is BBench and so we need to
boot a full Android image.
A single simulation of full Android takes us about ~12hours to boot.
However under dual, its been about 3 days and has so far simulated
only ~20seconds. Is there any way to speed up the simulation? Is there
any way we can stitch two single simulations together (initial loss of
time on drivesys is acceptable).
Currently we're on revision e179497451.
Regards
Guru
-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782
Guru Prasad
2015-08-03 15:46:48 UTC
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the suggestions. It took about 3 days to simulate 20seconds
under atomic.
I don't know how to tell if interrupts are being lost. The kernel is
not complaining about anything on kmsg.
I will try atomic with --fast-mem. Currently, I've been using lpddr3_1600_x32

I don't think I have KvmArmCPU available. I will try the same with the latest.
Is using KvmArmCPU as simple as just saying --cpu-type=...?
I ask this because --list-cpu-types for my current version only displays
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU

Regards
Guru

Hi Guru,
Andreas Hansson
2015-08-03 16:19:19 UTC
Hi Guru,

3 days for 20 seconds sounds way slower than it should be.

Fast-mem is not replacing the DRAM controller, it bypasses the entire
memory system. In atomic we do not do any sensible timing simulation of
the controller in any case.

The KVM CPU is only built if your system support it. Hence, you need to
build gem5 for ARM on an ARM system. A good reason to get an ARM server :-)

Andreas

On 03/08/2015 16:46, "gem5-users on behalf of Guru Prasad"
Post by Guru Prasad
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the suggestions. It took about 3 days to simulate 20seconds
under atomic.
I don't know how to tell if interrupts are being lost. The kernel is
not complaining about anything on kmsg.
I will try atomic with --fast-mem. Currently, I've been using
lpddr3_1600_x32
I don't think I have KvmArmCPU available. I will try the same with the latest.
Is using KvmArmCPU as simple as just saying --cpu-type=...?
I ask this because --list-cpu-types for my current version only displays
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,

Guru Prasad
2015-08-03 16:23:50 UTC
Ah I see. It sounds like the sort of like the hack we made for hdlcd
where we read from physical memory directly.

Thanks once again. I will try the options you've described.

Regards
Guru

Post by Guru Prasad
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the suggestions. It took about 3 days to simulate 20seconds
under atomic.
I don't know how to tell if interrupts are being lost. The kernel is
not complaining about anything on kmsg.
I will try atomic with --fast-mem. Currently, I've been using
lpddr3_1600_x32
I don't think I have KvmArmCPU available. I will try the same with the latest.
Is using KvmArmCPU as simple as just saying --cpu-type=...?
I ask this because --list-cpu-types for my current version only displays
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,
Davesh Shingari
2015-08-03 16:38:03 UTC
Hi Guru

I am using Android on Gem5 for my work. When I use the simulation to take
checkpoint, then it takes around 12 - 15 hours to get checkpoint and finish
simulation. The simulation time is 32 seconds after the checkpoint. But
when I use that checkpoint along with detailed mode configuration and full
memory system, then it takes almost a week to complete.
ᐧ
Post by Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,
3 days for 20 seconds sounds way slower than it should be.
Fast-mem is not replacing the DRAM controller, it bypasses the entire
memory system. In atomic we do not do any sensible timing simulation of
the controller in any case.
The KVM CPU is only built if your system support it. Hence, you need to
build gem5 for ARM on an ARM system. A good reason to get an ARM server
:-)
Post by Guru Prasad
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the suggestions. It took about 3 days to simulate 20seconds
under atomic.
I don't know how to tell if interrupts are being lost. The kernel is
not complaining about anything on kmsg.
I will try atomic with --fast-mem. Currently, I've been using lpddr3_1600_x32
I don't think I have KvmArmCPU available. I will try the same with the latest.
Is using KvmArmCPU as simple as just saying --cpu-type=...?
I ask this because --list-cpu-types for my current version only displays
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1
9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782
Post by Andreas Hansson
Have a great day!

Thanks and Warm Regards
Davesh Shingari
Master's in Computer Engineering [EE]
Arizona State University

***@asu.edu
Guru Prasad

Davesh Shingari

***@asu.edu
Guru Prasad
2015-08-03 16:47:13 UTC
Gem5 has a command line argument --dual. This starts up 2 separate
simulations (inside 1 process) where one is called the driver and the other
is the 'real' test system.
Since networking requires at least two systems, you usually use --dual when
you want to test the network. Because gem5 is not yet multi-threaded (I
think), both simulations end up using only 1 core.
Hence, ideally this should result in a 2x slowdown. However, I'm seeing a
lot more. That's what my question was about.

My single system simulations also take about 12-15 hours to complete. With
detailed they take a lot longer (haven't fully completed a sim yet).

Regards
Guru
Post by Guru Prasad
Hi Davesh, just to clarify, is this with --dual?
Regards
Guru
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Davesh Shingari

***@asu.edu
Rizwana Begum
2015-08-05 19:35:46 UTC
Hello Andreas,

We are considering to use ArmKvmCPU. I have a couple of questions regarding
its simulation methodology. From my understanding so far, KVM is a good way
to speedup simulations by switching between virtual (faster) and simulated
CPU. So, I am wondering if we can rely on all Gem5 stats that will be
reported after the simulation? Will running an arm_detailed CPU and
ArmKvmCPU result in similar stats? Also, does KVM CPU use dram controller
from Gem5 to simulate memory or it uses host physical memory?

Thanks,
-Rizwana
Post by Guru Prasad
Gem5 has a command line argument --dual. This starts up 2 separate
simulations (inside 1 process) where one is called the driver and the other
is the 'real' test system.
Since networking requires at least two systems, you usually use --dual
when you want to test the network. Because gem5 is not yet multi-threaded
(I think), both simulations end up using only 1 core.
Hence, ideally this should result in a 2x slowdown. However, I'm seeing a
lot more. That's what my question was about.
My single system simulations also take about 12-15 hours to complete.
With detailed they take a lot longer (haven't fully completed a sim yet).
Regards
Guru
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Guru Prasad
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Post by Andreas Hansson
Andreas Hansson
2015-08-06 09:46:27 UTC
Hi Rizwana,

The KVM CPU is really for fast forwarding. When you use it, you will get no stats, and no parts of the memory system are exercised.

You could envision building up a sampling-based methodology. In fact, there has been some work done already, as presented at the ISCA gem5 workshop.

Andreas

From: gem5-users <gem5-users-***@gem5.org<mailto:gem5-users-***@gem5.org>> on behalf of Rizwana Begum <***@gmail.com<mailto:***@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, 5 August 2015 20:35
Subject: Re: [gem5-users] Reducing time taken by dual simulations

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=ac2hpbmdhcmlkYXZlc2hAZ21haWwuY29t&type=zerocontent&guid=6881708c-88a7-4e14-877f-a79820b74647]ᐧ

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=ac2hpbmdhcmlkYXZlc2hAZ21haWwuY29t&type=zerocontent&guid=d2c7bc4c-1b48-416c-8b33-eac5f0965824]ᐧ

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=ac2hpbmdhcmlkYXZlc2hAZ21haWwuY29t&type=zerocontent&guid=faa2c819-ef06-4300-b7a3-22a83834a58a]ᐧ

Post by Guru Prasad
Hi Andreas,
Thanks for the suggestions. It took about 3 days to simulate 20seconds
under atomic.
I don't know how to tell if interrupts are being lost. The kernel is
not complaining about anything on kmsg.
I will try atomic with --fast-mem. Currently, I've been using
lpddr3_1600_x32
I don't think I have KvmArmCPU available. I will try the same with the latest.
Is using KvmArmCPU as simple as just saying --cpu-type=...?
I ask this because --list-cpu-types for my current version only displays
timing => TimingSimpleCPU
detailed => DerivO3CPU
atomic => AtomicSimpleCPU
minor => MinorCPU
Regards
Guru
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Andreas Hansson
Hi Guru,

***@asu.edu<mailto:***@asu.edu>

Rizwana Begum