[gem5-users] about memory configuration
류정민
2018-09-28 06:37:44 UTC
Hi, I am working on modifying the memory configuration in gem5 simulator.

I found that src/mem/DRAMCtrl.py controls the overall configuration of gem5
memory system.

However, I can't understand the meaning of the term 'device'.

For instance, DDR3 has device_size parameter and there are much more
important parameters related to the 'device' term.

I guess it is as same as 'chip', but I am not sure.

If you have any knowledge about the parameter 'device', please give me an
advise.

Best regards,

Jung Min.
Wendy Elsasser
2018-09-28 16:48:14 UTC
Hi Jung Min,
The term ‘device’ represents a DRAM chip.

As an example, DDR3 DIMM solutions typically have a 64-bit interface and are comprised of multiple DRAM chips.

If the device_bus_width = 8, each device has 8 data pins and there will be 8 devices required for the 64-bit interface. Therefore, devices_per_rank = 8 for this case.
If the devices are 8Gbit devices, the device_size = 1GB and the overall DIMM capacity per rank is 8GB.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if this is still unclear.

Regards,
Wendy

류정민

*Date: *Friday, September 28, 2018 at 1:38 AM
Hi, I am working on modifying the memory configuration in gem5 simulator.
I found that src/mem/DRAMCtrl.py controls the overall configuration of gem5 memory system.
However, I can't understand the meaning of the term 'device'.
For instance, DDR3 has device_size parameter and there are much more
important parameters related to the 'device' term.
I guess it is as same as 'chip', but I am not sure.
If you have any knowledge about the parameter 'device', please give me an advise.
Best regards,
Jung Min.
confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
information in any medium. Thank you.