Problem trying to invoke Garnet on gem5 simulator
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-27 06:11:48 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to invoke garnet module in gem5.
As given in the documentation I built gem5 binary using

scons build/ALPHA_SE_Network_Test/gem5.debug

After that, I executed the following command

./build/ALPHA_SE_Network_test/gem5.debug configs/example/
ruby_network_test.py --num-cpus=16 --num-dirs=16 --topology=Mesh --
mesh-rows=4 --sim-cycles=1000 --injectionrate=0.01 --synthetic=0 --
fixed-pkts--maxpackets=1 --garnet-network=fixed

I get a lot of warning messages that say

warning: add_child('cls') : child 'credit_links0 credit_links1'
already has parent

and then a panic message like the following is displayed

panic: System port on system is not connected. (I checked out this
message is printed from system.cc file in sim directory which is
under src directory)
Program aborted at cycle 0.
Aborted.

I have tried reading through the documentation as well as the
Frequently Asked Questions to find out a solution for it. I was not
able to.
Any help/advice on solving this issue is greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Thanks,
Pavan
Tushar Krishna
2012-01-27 17:17:21 UTC
Hi Pavan,
As you probably noticed, a patch has just been approved on the gem5-dev
list to fix this issue...
Keep a look out on that list for the patch to be pushed, and then try it ..

cheers,
Tushar
Malogro
2012-01-27 18:26:03 UTC
I've been running Garnet Networks for a while in GEM5 and I've always had
those warnings. They do not seem to interfere with the overall results (not
the ones I'm using anyway)

Also, the warnings don't appear in flexible pipeline Garnets. Have you
tried that to see what happens?

Your command line ran just fine over here both in the debug and opt
versions (provided the missing space after --fixed-pkts was a typo)

If you still have no success, I'd do what Tushar said and wait for the
patch to be pushed.

Regards,

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Tushar Krishna
2012-01-27 18:28:38 UTC
Yeah the warnings are always there but they are not a problem. The
specific error with regard to the system port are specific to the ruby
network tester which the patch fixes.
If you run garnet with any other protocol, it should work fine.

- Tushar
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-27 18:51:23 UTC
Hi Tushar,

Thank you for your quick reply. Can you please tell me how can I get
access to this patch you are suggesting? And also you said that with
any other protocol garnet would work fine. I did not really
understand the statement. Does changing the protocol mean running a
different python script instead of ruby_network_test.py or changing
the topology?

Thanks,
Pavan
Tushar Krishna
2012-01-27 18:57:31 UTC
Hi Pavan,
I saw Nilay approve the patch on the gem5-dev mailing list today so just
wait for the author of the patch (Andreas) to push it in. You will see
an email on the gem5-dev list when he does that.

The Network_test protocol is tied to the ruby_network_test.py script.
It basically allows you to perform network-only simulations.
By running a different protocol, I meant building MOESI_hammer or
MOESI_CMP_directory for instance, and running it with
ruby_random_test.py, ruby_se.py and so on.
Basically garnet itself can be plugged in when running any protocol.
If you do want to run garnet-only simulations, I would say wait for the
patch to be pushed in and then perform a hg pull -u and run the same
command you ran earlier.

ruby_network_test.py seems to have broken recently due to some other
changes.

cheers,
Tushar
Post by Malogro
I've been running Garnet Networks for a while in GEM5 and I've
always had those warnings. They do not seem to interfere with the
overall results (not the ones I'm using anyway)
Also, the warnings don't appear in flexible pipeline Garnets. Have
you tried that to see what happens?
Your command line ran just fine over here both in the debug and opt
versions (provided the missing space after --fixed-pkts was a typo)
If you still have no success, I'd do what Tushar said and wait for
the patch to be pushed.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Tushar Krishna
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-27 19:18:27 UTC
Hi Tushar,

I am currently building gem5 binary with MOESI_hammer. I will try to invoke
garnet with that binary as you suggested after it is done. As per the
patch, can I subscribe to the gem5-dev list to receive the emails regarding
it or do those emails appear on gem5-users list too?

Thanks,
Pavan
Tushar Krishna
Pavan Poluri

Pavan Poluri
2012-01-28 19:19:56 UTC
Hi Tushar,

I did not receive any emails regarding the patch for the issue with
GARNET. I was just wondering may be I subscribed to a different list
and the patch is already out. Has the patch been approved and already
out in the latest version of gems code?

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks,
Pavan
Tushar Krishna
2012-01-28 19:55:27 UTC
Hi Pavan,
I don't think its been pushed yet as I didnt see any email either.
This is the thread I am talking about:
http://www.mail-archive.com/gem5-***@gem5.org/msg02546.html

If you are in a hurry, perhaps you can just add the change yourself in
ruby_network_test.py into your local repo:

ruby_port.access_phys_mem = False
i += 1

# ADD THE FOLLOWING LINE:

system.system_port = system.ruby._sys_port_proxy.port

But remember to remove it when you do a hg pull -u later when the patch
gets pushed in.

cheers,
Tushar
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I am currently building gem5 binary with MOESI_hammer. I will try to
invoke garnet with that binary as you suggested after it is done. As
per the patch, can I subscribe to the gem5-dev list to receive the
emails regarding it or do those emails appear on gem5-users list too?
Thanks,
Pavan
On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Tushar Krishna
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-29 17:15:19 UTC
Hi Tushar,

Thank you for telling me the change. I will modify the script in my
own repo and rerun the gem binary.

Thanks a lot!!

Thanks,
Pavan
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-30 18:48:27 UTC
Hi Tushar,

Thanks for the tip!! Now, I am able to run the code without it being
aborted. I am also able to see some network related statistics in the
ruby.stats file.

I am trying to understand how the router architecture has been modeled
within garnet. There are two fields which I am not able to understand
as to what do they mean.

1. m_virtual_networks -> number of virtual networks
2. m_vc_per_vnet -> number of vcs per virtual network

What does number of virtual networks mean?

Thanks,
Pavan
Tushar Krishna
2012-01-30 22:06:29 UTC
Hi Pavan,

Virtual networks carry different coherence message types to avoid
protocol level deadlocks in gem5.
As a simplest example, vnet 0 might carry requests and vnet 1 might
carry responses.
Thus each vnet has its own set of buffers to avoid deadlocks.

Each vnet itself can have one or more virtual channels (VCs) for
performance reasons (to avoid head of line blocking etc).
VCs within vnets that carry control messages (typically 1-flit wide) are
1 buffer deep.
VCs within vnets that carry data messages (typically 5-flit wide) are
typically more than 1 buffer deep.

- Tushar
Pavan Poluri

Pavan Poluri
2012-02-01 19:30:34 UTC
Hi Tushar,

I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark suites
like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?

Thanks,
Pavan
**
Malogro
2012-02-01 19:39:55 UTC
Hey Pavan,

To run benchmark suites, I particularly use the full system emulator. Here
is my command line to do so:

build/ALPHA_FS/gem5.opt configs/example/ruby_fs.py --num-cpus=4
--num-dirs=4 --num-l2caches=4 --topology=Mesh --mesh-rows=2 --garnet=fixed
--kernel=vmlinux_2.6.27-gcc_4.3.4 --script=scripts/runparsec1.rcS

And my script file contains:

#!/bin/sh
# File to run the blackscholes benchmark
cd /parsec/install/bin
/sbin/m5 dumpresetstats
echo "Go grab a coffee...this will take a while"
./blackscholes 64 /parsec/install/inputs/blackscholes/in_64K.txt
/parsec/install/inputs/blackscholes/prices.txt
echo "Done :D"
/sbin/m5 exit

Do not forget to download system and benchmark images! Also, it takes a
while to run.

If you need to do it using SE, I'm afraid I haven't tried to do it and
wouldn't be of much help.

You will want to modify it to your specific needs of cores/etc.

Regards,

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Malogro
2012-02-01 19:42:05 UTC
I forgot to tell you: You may need to build the ALPHA_FS system with
arguments RUBY=true and PROTOCOL=MOESI_CMP_directory or any other you might
want to use.

Here is my build command line

scons build/ALPHA_FS/gem5.opt RUBY=true PROTOCOL=MOESI_CMP_directory

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-02-02 05:03:19 UTC

I am trying to run PARSEC benchmark on gem5. As told, I built my gem5
binary using

*scons build/ALPHA_FS/gem5.opt RUBY=true PROTOCOL=MOESI_CMP_directory*

Then I downloaded the following files from this website
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~parsec_m5/

1. PARSEC-2.1 Disk Image
2. .rcS Run Script Generator
3. PARSEC-2.1 Input Set File
4. Linux 2.6.27 Kernel Image (ALPHA)
5. Modified ALPHA PAL Code (Big Tsunami with more than 4 cores)

I placed all these files in the path */tmp/path*.

As given in the report I modified /configs/common/SysPaths.py line 53 to

*path = [ '/dist/m5/system', '/tmp/path' ]*

/configs/common/Benchmarks.py line 53

*return env.get('LINUX_IMAGE',
disk('linux-parsec-2-1-m5-with-test-inputs.img'))*

and also increased memory to 512MB from 128MB for mem(self)

Then I ran the command

*build/ALPHA_FS/gem5.opt configs/example/ruby_fs.py --num-cpus=4
--num-dirs=4 --num-l2caches=4 --topology=Mesh --mesh-rows=2 --garnet=fixed
--kernel=/path/vmlinux_2.6.27-gcc_4.3.4 --script=/home/Desktop/runscript.rcS
*

The execution terminates saying

*fatal: Could not load console file /tmp/path/binaries/console*

I think I messed up the path field in configs/common/SysPaths.py line 53

path = [ '/dist/m5/system'*, 'where should this path point to??' *]

Are there any other files that I need to download other than the ones that
I already downloaded?

Thanks,
Pavan
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Malogro
2012-02-02 16:49:33 UTC
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need compiled
alpha consoles. It's right here

http://gem5.org/Download

Under "Full System Stuff".

It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in your
/tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should go
away.

Regards,

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-02-02 22:28:26 UTC

Thanks for the suggestion Alexandre. I did as you told and that problem is
solved. However, the execution terminates saying

*panic: System port on system is not connected*

I know that I ran into the same problem earlier when trying to invoke
garnet through ruby_network_test.py. Tushar told me to add the following
line

*system.system_port = system.ruby._sys_port_proxy.port*

in the *for loop that runs for each ruby_port in system.ruby._cpu_ruby_ports

*and the problem was solved.* *So I tried doing the same thing for
ruby_fs.py too.

I added the line

*system.system_port = system.ruby._sys_port_proxy.port*

in the for loop

*for (i, cpu) in enumerate(system.cpu):*

but no luck.. it still says System port on system is not connected.

Could you please tell me what is the line I have to add and where to add in
ruby_fs.py to solve the system port connection issue?

Thanks,
Pavan
Post by Malogro
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need compiled
alpha consoles. It's right here
http://gem5.org/Download
Under "Full System Stuff".
It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in
your /tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should
go away.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Malogro
2012-02-03 16:44:16 UTC
I find it curious because I never ran into this problem. Are you using the
latest repository version? Have you tried issuing the hg clone command
again and recompiling just to see what happens?

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Malogro
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need compiled
alpha consoles. It's right here
http://gem5.org/Download
Under "Full System Stuff".
It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in
your /tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should
go away.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-02-04 17:23:03 UTC
Hi Alexandre,

I issued a hg clone command and got the latest gem5 code from the
repository. And then I executed the command for PARSEC benchmark. I also
had to add an option "--cpu=timing" to the command you gave me because
without that, the execution terminated saying "Ruby needs either O3CPU or
TimingModelCPU". Now gem5 is running. It has been running for over *22
hours and is still running*. I am running it on a Virtual box with 1GB RAM
with Ubuntu 10.10. Does benchmark execution really take such long time or
is something wrong?

Thanks,
Pavan
Post by Malogro
I find it curious because I never ran into this problem. Are you using the
latest repository version? Have you tried issuing the hg clone command
again and recompiling just to see what happens?
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Malogro
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need compiled
alpha consoles. It's right here
http://gem5.org/Download
Under "Full System Stuff".
It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in
your /tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should
go away.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-02-05 17:31:27 UTC

My simulation finally ended after running for nearly 30 hours and I got
some stats. Thanks a lot Tushar and Alexandre for helping me in solving out
the issues I faced.

Thanks,
Pavan
Post by Malogro
I find it curious because I never ran into this problem. Are you using
the latest repository version? Have you tried issuing the hg clone command
again and recompiling just to see what happens?
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Malogro
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need compiled
alpha consoles. It's right here
http://gem5.org/Download
Under "Full System Stuff".
It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in
your /tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should
go away.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through
benchmark suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke
garnet under uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can
I run a benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tushar Krishna <
**
Malogro
2012-02-05 21:01:18 UTC
No problem man. Glad you got everything up and running.

Simulation time is really long depending on the settings. I usually leave
it overnight.

Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Malogro
I find it curious because I never ran into this problem. Are you using
the latest repository version? Have you tried issuing the hg clone command
again and recompiling just to see what happens?
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Malogro
You downloaded ALMOST everything that you need. You still need
compiled alpha consoles. It's right here
http://gem5.org/Download
Under "Full System Stuff".
It's the first link, "Full System Files" for ALPHA. Uncompress them in
your /tmp/path. You should see the console binary and your problem should
go away.
Regards,
Alexandre Yasuo Yamamoto
Hi,
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through
benchmark suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke
garnet under uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can
I run a benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Tushar Krishna <
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-02-01 20:02:29 UTC
Hey Alexandre,

Thanks for telling me. I will try it under the full system simulator mode
and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot!!

Regards,
Pavan
Post by Pavan Poluri
Hi Tushar,
I was wondering if it is possible to invoke GARNET through benchmark
suites like SPEC, PARSEC, SPLASH etc. Currently we can invoke garnet under
uniform, tornado and bit complement traffic patterns. How can I run a
benchmark suite on GARNET?
Thanks,
Pavan
**
Pavan Poluri
2012-01-27 18:55:29 UTC
Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your suggestion. The missing space is a typo. I tried with
flexible pipeline. The warnings did not show up, however, the program
still aborted.

Did it run for you without using the patch that Tushar suggested? If
so, do I need to change any other files to get garnet running in
addition to building gem5 binary and then invoking garnet through
ruby_network_test.py?

Thanks,
Pavan